Saturday, November 12, 2016

RIP LEONARD COHEN

As if I wasn't sad enough... A little over a week ago I posted the following on Facebook:
Leonard and I have a close relationship, only he doesn't know it. I love his poetry, songs, and voice, even when he sings in his gravelly old man's voice, speaking more than singing the lyrics.

We have a lot in common: We are contemporaries, born in the same year in September, only three days apart. He has back trouble and is more or less "confined to barracks", as he says, and as I am. Except for the fact that he is male and a genius poet, song writer, lyricist, and singer, we are just the same. See?
Leonard's final album You Want It Darker arrived a few days ago. I didn't want it darker, and I especially didn't want it darker this way, but I love the sad, haunting album. Leonard is gone, but his music lives on.

From Rolling Stone:
"My father passed away peacefully at his home in Los Angeles with the knowledge that he had completed what he felt was one of his greatest records," Cohen's son Adam wrote in a statement to Rolling Stone. "He was writing up until his last moments with his unique brand of humor."
As we grew old together, the resonance of Leonard's songs grew ever greater and deeper over the years.

From Cohen's 2012 album Old Ideas.



Photo from Wikimedia Commons

4 comments:

  1. I am saddened by his death. I have been "his fan" since I was a teenager in the '70s. This has been a hard week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His death broke my heart, but, if anyone was prepared, it was Leonard. Someone suggested he died of a broken heart, and I would not be surprised if that was true, at least in part, though I know his health was poor.

      Delete
  2. The day his death was announced, my wife said to me (that evening): "Did you hear that your friend Leonard Cohen died?"

    Of course, I'd never met him. But she got my sense of his art and craft exactly right.

    The only artist I will be sadder to see pass is Judy Collins. Her version of "Suzanne" is still the definitive one, for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Judy Collins is a mighty force. Her version of "Suzanne" is lovely.

      Delete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.