Wednesday, November 2, 2011

THE RAINBOW HEDGE



Pictured above is the Beech Hedge at Meikleour near Perth and Kincross snapped by Bishop David Chillingworth, Primus of Scotland, who blogs at Thinking Aloud. Isn't it gorgeous?

From Wikipedia:
The Meikleour Beech Hedge(s) (European Beech = Fagus sylvatica), located near Meikleour, Perth and Kinross, Scotland, alongside the A93 Perth-Blairgowrie Road, was planted in the autumn of 1745 by Jean Mercer and her husband, Robert Murray Nairne on the Marquess of Lansdowne's Meikleour estate. It is said the hedge grows towards the heavens because the men who planted it were killed at the Battle of Culloden.

The hedge is noted in the Guinness World Records as the tallest and longest hedge on earth, reaching 30 metres (100 ft) in height and 530 metres (1/3 mile) in length. The hedge is trimmed once every ten years but remains viewable to visitors all year round.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, margaret. The picture disappeared for me after a while, and I had to reload. Why does that happen sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wouldn't appear for me either --I followed your link --but the link did not sport such show as stunning as this rainbow hedge! Even so, it is breathtaking!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see the picture now. I hope others can.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Jean and Robert. On this All Souls Day, I'm sure you RIP...

    [Thank you too, Mimi!]

    ReplyDelete
  5. The photo of the hedge is so beautiful that I had to have it for myself. I hope Bishop David doesn't mind.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Goodness, how beautiful. That's Scotland though. Sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you realise it's over a year ago, now, Mimi, since our Scotland adventure with the Mad One? ... It's hard to believe.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Over a year! That seems impossible to me, Cathy. The hedge was not on our way. Besides, it would not have been a rainbow at the time were there.

    ReplyDelete

Anonymous commenters, please sign a name, any name, to distinguish one anonymous commenter from another. Thank you.